Irish Ancestry Group
Quarterly 2nd Saturday February, May, August and November at 1.00pm. The August Meeting is our Annual General Meeting
The venue for the Quarterly meetings is: the Genealogical Society of Victoria
Meeting room Level 6, 85 Queen Street Melbourne.
February 10 – Speaker Dr Madonna Grehan Ladies and letters, safely delivered - maternity attendance by women in Port Phillip and Victoria 1840 - 1899.
May 12 - Speaker Beryl O'Gorman Local Writing - Local History.
Postal Address: Level 6, 85 Queen Street, Melbourne Vic 3000 AUSTRALIA
Tel 03 9662 4455 Fax 03 9663 0841
Chairperson: Beryl O'GORMAN Ph 9432 2343
Deputy Chairperson: Peter Cleary
Treasurer / Membership: Gwen HARDINGHAM Ph 9584 3776
Committee: Ita Collard, Virgil Gill, Maureen Doyle (Minute Secretary), Thomas Dowling
Aims and Objectives of the group
- To foster the study of Irish History and assist with family history research as it relates to Irish Immigration, particularly in relation to Australia.
- To assist and encourage the study of Irish Family History.
- To produce a quarterly newsletter "BLARNEY"
- To produce a Subscriber's Irish Interest List when required.
- To maintain liaison with Irish genealogy Groups.
- To present seminars and conferences
- To purchase suitable Irish Research media for inclusion in the GSV Library.
- To sell an Irish Research starters kit
- To distribute a newsletter titled Blarney.
- To hold quarterly meetings of the Group's members at which . . .
- Local or visiting guest speakers may present subjects.
- Members participate in group discussions
An Irish Research person is in the GSV library on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month, and on the 5th Wednesday when this occurs. Other staff and volunteers would also be able to assist you at other times. Contact the Research department for information of a time when a research volunteer is on duty in the library.
Our Irish Research Starter Kit and our Griffith Valuation Kit are available at GSV Reception for $7.00 or can be posted +Postage of $5.00. These will answer many of your questions regarding your Irish research. There are also many helpful resources available in the GSV library.
Our quarterly newsletter is "BLARNEY"
Newsletter Subscription: $11.00 per year.
Any person can subscribe to the Blarney, and contributions are alway welcome. We endeavour to bring you all updates and new resources as they become available.