DNA Discussion Circle
The DNA Discussion Circle is for GSV members who would like to find out how DNA may assist them in furthering their family history. DNA can be used to confirm or establish links in your family tree as well as identifying your particular genetic origins.
To help members explore the possibilities of genetic genealogy.
It is an exciting new avenue for potentially finding new relations. Sharing the journey with others is a great way to learn more.
You will be advised the cost and where and how to get your DNA tested. Three types of DNA are used in genealogy – YDNA, mtDNA, and autosomal DNA.
When you get your results back you will be given help in the interpretation of them by the more experienced members of the group. A number of members have had their DNA tested since joining the group and some unusual findings were revealed of their historical origins.
Things happening at our monthly DNA meetings include:
• Members reporting to the group any DNA newsworthy items since the previous meeting.
• Presentations by the convenor, members or guest speakers on topics relating to research using DNA.
• Members reporting to the group any DNA results they have received.
• Members reporting to the group any contacts they have made or received from ‘matches’ in their DNA account.
• Assisting members to breakthrough their research brickwalls.
• Reviews of articles from press articles and other journals.
• When appropriate, members will be sent relevant articles by email.
• Examination of the migrations of groups over time which effect the distribution of DNA Haplogroups.
Who may join?
Only GSV Members may attend the DNA Discussion Circle. There is no additional fee, it is included as part of their annual subscription.
Your access to email is essential.
How to register your interest
You will be asked for some detail about what you are interested in learning or what you are hoping to achieve by having your DNA tested.
The DNA circle meets monthly from 10.30 am to 12:00 pm on the second Wednesday of each month at the GSV Meeting Room, Level 6, 85 Queen Street, Melbourne.