International Settlers Group (ISG)(Non-British Research)
A Service Group of the Genealogical Society of Victoria
Postal Address: The Secretary International Settlers Group, C/- GSV,
Level 6, 85 Queen Street, Melbourne 3000 AUSTRALIA
Chairperson: Michael Rumpff
Aims of the group
- Compile and collate genealogical research information on the non-British countries.
- Assist Subscribers with their research activities through correspondence, newsletters and for GSV members, articles in 'Ancestor' the official journal of the GSV.
- Increase the holdings of the Society's Library relating to non-British research.
- Sharing experience and resources with Newsletter Subscribers.
The International Settlers Group offers you:
- Assistance with your research problems in Australia and overseas.
- A chance to meet and get to know fellow members and to exchange activities and ideas.
- Newsletter published regularly giving activities of the International Settlers Group (ISG), articles of interest and various reports.
- The opportunity to further your genealogical knowledge through the use of records available within the ISG.
- Guidance as to the records held in the Genealogical Society of Victoria (GSV) library, which may assist you in your particular area of research.
- The chance to include details relating to your ancestors in our "Members Interest Directory" which is updated on a continuous basis and published in the Newsletter.
- An opportunity to contribute information in Our Newsletter.
The International Settlers Group Newsletter (Quarterly)
It is published quarterly in January, April, July and October. It is recommended reading for any person with person with an interest in non-British genealogical research.
Membership Subscription: $11.00 per year (inc GST)
International Settlers Group ISG Membership aplication form
- Held quarterly on the third Saturday in February, May, August and November.
- Commencing 1.00 pm in GSV Meeting room.
- Visitors always welcome
- Afternoon tea will be served
Year 2017 Program
18 February 2017 –“Problem Solving Workshop (non-British) – Experienced as well as beginners are needed to make this workshop a success. Visitors Welcome.
20 May 2017 –“The effective use of TROVE” (National Library of Australia on-line catalogue search engine)
Speaker Liz Pidgeon
19 August 2017 – AGM, then "The most beautiful girl in the village...an Italian journey of love" She will talk about the journey she has taken - from minimal research knowledge and information to gaining all sorts of knowledge and hints and finding family as a result. Speaker Liz Zito
18 November 2017 –Betty Huf – “German Settlement in Western Victoria” . – followed by Christmas afternoon tea
Research and Fees:
The International Settlers Group (ISG) does research for its subscribers and other interested parties, under the auspices of the Research Services GSV and at the same rates, which are:- Members $30.00 per hour (inc GST) Non Members $50.00 per hour (inc GST) + photocopying charges and postal charges where applicable. Please enclose sae for initial inquiry.
Non-British Research Starter Kits for Denmark; Sweden; Norway; Finland; Netherlands.
Starter Kits: $10.50 or $12.30 posted
Wish List - Non-British:
We are encouraging members to join in this scheme to help build up overseas records for the GSV Library
Would you like to share in the cost of a film / fiche / CD / Book ?
Donations may be made toward the cost of purchasing these items.
Map Guides to German Parish Registers
The German Map Guide Books identify the parish where an ancestor went to church in Germany, based on where they lived. They also give the Family History Library microfilm number for the parish records and this identifies nearly every city, town and place that included residents. Also they visually identify church parishes for Lutherans and Catholics within each district. Prices are: Soft Cover: AUS $65.00 by Kevan Hansen
Next publications :- Free and Hanseatic City of Lübeck, Free and Hanseatic City of Bremen, Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg. (3 – 4 Volumes)
Kevan Hansen will be compiling a series on the cantons of Switzerland - in a very similar fashion to the German Parish Register books. Most likely about 20 books or less covering all 26 cantons.
www.feefhs.org Federation of East European Family History Societies
www.cyndislist.com World database of genealogy links
http://wiki-en.genealogy.net/Main_Page German Genealogy & more
www.naa.gov.au National Archives of Australia
www.prov.vic.gov.au Public Record Office Victoria
http://niederweisel.com “The Nieder-Weisel Story”
www.niederweiselmemorial.com The Nieder Weisel Memorial
www.croatia-in-english.com Croatian genealogy
www.agfhs.org.uk/ Anglo German Family History Society (UK)
http://trees.ancestry.com.au/ Ancestry (paid site)
http://pgsa.org/ Polish Genealogical Society of America
www.jewishgen.org/ JewishGen Databases
Countries being researched by members:
|CANADA||ITALY||SCHLESWIG / HOLSTEIN|